Sunday, August 5, 2007

Depressed.

I am bogged down in working on my book. Some snags that may not be fixable have popped up. I have been getting depressed and anxious at the same time. Very unpleasant. Writing in this blog is frustrating because I don't need to demotivate myself any further by writing it. If I start thinking negatively about advertising in general, it spreads to my current efforts on my book. It just gets harder and harder to do what needs to get done.
Maybe I picked a really bad topic for my blog, or at least a bad topic for the time being. It has been suggested that this blog could be used to help me find a job, but I would be scared to show this to prospective employers as a marketing tool because they may see it as a lack of desire or reluctance to be in the field. They could end up seeing this as that I would not as hard as someone with no reservations whatsoever. It looks like a lack of commitment in a field where people are climbing over each to get in. The blog could be a positive to some employers, I do believe, but it's really risky in my opinion. I think it might turn more prospective employers off than on to hiring me. That is my motivation for keeping it sort of on the down low. Y'know? Keep it mostly in the fam. PC family that is.


On an unrelated topic, some anti-advertising web sights compare the omnipresence of advertising as defacing the world similarly to graffiti. It makes me wonder, though. Graffiti is art, right? If ads really are graffiti, than maybe they are art in a round about sort of way. Advertising has the power to far surpass graffiti, though. The neon hologram of Tokyo at night comes to mind. It is beautiful. Incredibly artificial, surreal, and disturbing, but beautiful. People somehow normalize this seemingly alternate reality and go on about their lives. It's Blade Runner, already. Either make the hologram, or be made by it. John

5 comments:

Tracie Mae said...

Wow, the whole book drama...I am SO not prepared to go through. Good thing I have over a year still to go! Score 1 for me!

Becca said...

Why not try to focus on good advertising – the kind of thing you are aspiring for?

Barclay said...

Yeah I really do believe that you have to look at advertising as not only a device to sell or promote something, but as a form of expression. It is like grafitti, but cooler.
Im with you in the book boat, man. At least we're getting this children's book out of the way, though!

Some Guy said...

LOL @ the transition from the second paragraph.

Hey man, I think a lot of your blog has focused on adventures of a new creative coming into the workplace. Maybe you could focus a lot around that. Or, just create a blog that's really even, that shows both sides of the issue.

chrissy said...

Old advertising is now considered art, so in twenty years the advertising of today will be considered art.
But the way I see it is, it's just like playing a game. How can I come up with something that will capture people's attention? It's fun, you just have to look at it in a different way.