Thursday, August 16, 2007

Great ads.

Great ads push the boundaries of the medium. Say for instance, the caveman ads by Geico. The caveman ads explore the sensibilities of metro-sexualdom, while gently poking fun at political correctness and sensitivity to stereotyping. It's a micro-cosm of social trends created at the exactly right moment in time. It's smart. Way smart and hysterical. When a new installment of the campaign comes out, people talk about it like a new film release as in: Have you seen the the new caveman ad, yet?
Or, you could take the big brother campaign of Apple that launched the mac. Huge. This ad is so iconic it resonates as one of the great representations of the individual triumphing over the totalitarian state in all forms of media.
Ads like these cross over into entertainment, social commentary, and into the great art category. In this light, an ad writer or art director, is an artist, a film maker, a social commentator. I would be proud to be one of these. These are things I have always dreamed of doing.
I guess the acid test becomes- how good am I? Can I make ads that rise to the stature of expanding the medium? Can they be original and great enough? Maybe my expressed reluctance over all of this is a form of cop-out. Am I afraid I can't do great ads? That somehow I won't have the capability or the opportunity to really do it on the highest level? Hmmmm. As bugs bunny would say, "hmmmmmmm, might be."
John

No comments: